Monday, January 19, 2009

Braaaaiiinnnsssss!!!!

So, today I have been posting mysterious Facebook status updates. They were the following (and I quote):
"Shawna is trying to decide..."
"Shawna is leaning towards yes, for those who were wondering. And if I do this thing, I promise I will blog about it later"
"Shawna is halfway through the thing she was deliberating earlier. Moo"

So, what was all this mysteriousness about? Is mysteriousness even a word? Why is my blog today labeled "Braaaiinnnss!". Well, my friends, the wait is over What I was trying to decide to do tonight was try out for a musical. I haven't tried out for a musical since....senior year in college? (1999 if anyone is keeping track). I figured 10 years was long enough to keep Shawna away from her first love! MUSIC THEATRE!! (w/an re). So not only did I try out for a musical, but it's a musical with an awesome title. "Zombie Prom". Yes, you read that right. "Zombie Prom". How amazing is that?!?!? Anyone who knows me verrry well knows that I really enjoy zombie movies, especially "Shaun of the Dead". I don't know why I like them..they creep me out just as much as anyone else, but I just like them. I even managed to use Shaun of the Dead as a subject of study in grad school. Isn't grad school great when you get to write about zombie movies?!?! So, this afternoon I called my fellow music theatre friend, Sarah, to see if she would go audition with me, and she said she'd go for moral support, but wasn't sure about the trying out part. She came over for dinner and I managed to convince her to just give it a shot! So, we both did it, I was very proud of us. I sang part of "Baby, I'm Yours" and she did "Chapel of Love". The audition notice called for a doo wop type song or something from like Little Shop of Horrors, Hairspray, etc. Here is the synopsis of the musical, btw so you know what the haps are: (this is from ltvb.com)
About the show:
This girl-loves-ghoul rock ’n roll Off-Broadway musical is set in the atomic 1950s at Enrico Fermi High, where the law is laid down by a zany, tyrannical principal. Pretty senior Toffee has fallen for the class bad boy. Family pressure forces her to end the romance, and he charges off on his motorcycle to the nuclear waste dump. He returns “glowing” and determined to reclaim Toffee's heart. He still wants to graduate, but most of all he wants to take Toffee to the prom. The principal orders him to drop dead while a scandal reporter seizes on him as the freak du jour. History comes to his rescue while a tuneful selection of original songs in the style of 50s hits keeps the action rocking across the stage.

I auditioned specifically for this part: Miss Delilah Strict (30s-40s) - Basically she is Stalin in pumps and a dress. School Principal; icy and hard on the outside with a heart of gold. (Should have good comic timing - think Carol Burnett or Bette Midler)

There was another lady there who I believe was going for the same part, but I think I sang better than her (from what I could hear). Is that conceited? =) Her dancing was more 'in character' though, because I really am NOT a dancer..but I gave it a shot and that's all that they wanted to see.

So, I should hear tomorrow if I get a callback, which will be Thursday at 7:30, and then we'll know if we're cast by Friday. Eek! I hope I get something, at least. I really miss being in a show.

Thanks for sticking with me today on Facebook, I know it drove some of you crazy, but hey--that's what I love to do!! tee hee.

2 comments:

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Good luck! I love it when people continue to follow their passions after school is over and "extra curricular activities" become a thing of the past.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Kate! It was a lot of fun to try out and even if I don't get it, I'll be fine =)