Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Words, words, words...I'm so sick of words!

Hi. Me again. So, again...words. Labels. Thoughts...twisting and boiling. This one I  haven't even talked to anybody about yet--it's been too painful to think about. Anyways-here goes..

This past saturday morning I met a friend at a local, popular park to do a training run for the half marathon coming up. She could only fit in a partial run with me since she has kids with many activities to shuttle. After she left I was determined to finish my four mile run on my own even though it was VERY humid and getting hotter by the minute. It was also becoming more crowded, so as I'm working my way around the path I pass a young man.  He was walking at a brisk pace, but not running, and listening to something on headphones. As I passed him others were coming from the other way and it was a tight fit for a second. Under his breath I hear him mutter....


"watch it, fatso".

Um.

Excuse me?

Did I hear him correctly?

Oh no...he DIDN'T.

But he did.

I turned around and jogged backwards for a few steps and said "what did you just say to me?"

He wouldn't look at me,,

This confirmed what I thought he said.

I, turned back around and finished my run. And I have to tell you-that was the hardest run I have ever completed. I didn't need his negative comment. I have enough negative self talk happening as it is-thank you, sir. And I know that what he said only reflected negatively on him. And I know that old saying attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. I know this. But-it just sucked. And sometimes things just are awful and there is nothing you can do about it. I will continue to run. I will continue to lose weight--but that guy? He'll always be an a$$.

No comments: