Sunday, June 14, 2009

"Pushing Daisies" (You will forever live in my heart)



Photo courtesy: of the worldwide interwebz. No copyright infringement intended

This Blog is Dedicated to Bryan Fuller-the creator of "Pushing Daisies"

Last night ABC aired the final episode of "Pushing Daisies". And with it now ended, a little piece of me has died inside. If you've never watched the show then please get on it. The first season is already out on DVD and the 2nd (and final) season will be out on July 21st. I wish that the writers would have had a little bit more time to finish the stories they had intricately weaved into existence in this show. As it stands, they did the best they could in a (maybe) 30 second long wind up of (most) of the open ended stories. What remains a mystery-does Ned ever find his Dad? But, that's okay. I'm sure they did the best that they could.

As I finished watching the show tonight, and I realized what they were doing to try and appease the loyal fans, tears began to stream from my eyes. I mourn the loss of this treasure, the stories that will remain untold, the characters we'll never get to meet, and the songs we'll never get to hear Olive randomly burst into....I am sad for everyone involved and also for myself. Pushing Daisies was the place I went to in the current television climate for a respite from all of the annoying reality shows and overactive teenage hormones. The only other show I've cried over ending was "Gilmore Girls", and that was different. It, at least, got to wrap up its story-lines with a little more time (no thanks to its creator who almost destroyed it before she left over contract disputes with Warner Bros, but I digress), but I wasn't sad that it was ending-it really was time. I was sad that I wouldn't have my 'old friends' around with me every week anymore. But it's different with "Pushing Daisies". I wept because it was taken before its time, and I have a feeling there will never be a show like it again.

No comments: